My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

"Chasing The Evidence Race" by Susan Pearl (Wednesday, mystery blog #6)

(After Maze comes out of the hidden closet Nate says,)

Nate: I hope you had time to calm down after our disagreement this morning.  I don't want Lana's death to be a subject that keeps coming up with you being so angry at me.

Maze: I will always be angry that you didn't call me to tell me she had another ride to her apartment that night.  Or, that she wanted to meet someone else and that person would take back to her apartment after they had some time together.  What kind of friend are you anyway.  Wouldn't you want me to know if she was wanting to see someone else?  Don't you think a loyal friend would inform a true friend of something like this when it is going on.  If you had called me she wouldn't have been killed by Hanna.  She was no match for Hanna.  You played into Hanna hand by not being a true and loyal friend to me and I will always hold it against you.  I don't really ever want you to be on my team.  I can't trust you to do the right thing.

Nate:  But, we are supposed to work together on this north region that The Dover brothers had been assigned. That should be our focus now.  We don't have to be friends even if we have to work together. 

Maze: We are definitely not friends. I'm not so sure we ever were. Friends have each others back.  You didn't have my back when you didn't tell me Lana was meeting someone else.  Who was that jerk that was just here? What a real nuisance?  I could near at a distance he was asking you a lot of questions.  What do you think of all his questions?

Nate: That's Garrett. He's a private investigator who came out of nowhere. I think he is a loose cannon that could blow things up.  He knows I am lying about not knowing you. (Nate and Maze visit about every question and every answer Nate gave to Garrett.  In addition Nate tells Maze how Garrett's sister had been Hanna's attorney and she and Garrett had worked hard in Hanna's behalf.                Meanwhile, on a whim, Garrett pulls into the Automotive Restorations parking lot.  Garrett goes into the business to talk to the owner.  Garrett is interested in finding out something about a muscular built man who drives a 1955 blue and white Ford Fairlane. Garrett steps up to a counter and is quickly approached by young man in a work uniform.)

Man in work uniform: Can I help you?

Garrett: I would like to speak to the owner.

Man in work uniform:  He's taken the day off.

Garrett: What is the owners name?

Man in work uniform:  I've been given strict orders not to answer any questions that could help investigate the murder of our receptionist..  The owner was interrogated for three days and he says that is more than enough.  He has done all he can do.

Garrett:  I can understand that. Thank you.  (Garrett starts to turn around but immediately turns back towards the young man. Let's change the subject. I am interest in a 1955 Ford Fairlane.  I heard the restored car was a real show stopper at a car show.  The owner of the '55 Ford Fairlane is a very muscular man. He looks like a body builder. 

Man in work uniform: Oh, that sounds like Max Wellbrock.

Garrett: Do you know anything about him?

Man in work uniform: Not really.

Garrett:  Can you look up his address on a customer file list?

Man in uniform: I can try. (He pulls up a data base customer file of names and addresses on the computer) Here it is. (Garrett gets his notepad out of his shirt pocket and has a pen in hand and nods that he is really)  Max Wellbrock, PO Box 482 (Then he reads Garrett the zip code) I guess that's it. That's all we have. 

Garrett: That helps me. Thanks again.

Man in work uniform. You're welcome. (Garrett leaves.  Now, things are starting to feel like he is making some progress.                                                                                                                Meanwhile, at the modular house, that serves as an office for renting the storage units, tensions between Maze and Nate are on the rise.) 

Maze: I can't think straight right now. 

Nate: Let's try real hard to have a regular conversation without mentioning Lana and then we will build on that.  I know we have an opportunity that could have astronomical rewards. Maze, tell me what you think we should do right now.  Take a deep breath and tell me.

Maze: I know we have to remember we have this whole north region to cover and account for since the Dover brothers were killed.  We've got quotas to meet. We've got to prove ourselves. When we reach the top tier status we'll have rank in the organization. Our goal is to continue the Dover brothers development of a customer base and add people to sign up for Guaranteed Confidentially Rule wired deposits to bank accounts in our region.  If we can meet our quotas the organization would reward us big time.. For now, we'll lay low and work as hard as we can for the organization for getting the clients who will sign the contract for money wire deposits into their accounts. Dover's were getting more clients all of the time and was getting more orders from the organization to find more places for deposits.  The organization is expanding into several countries. They need more and more places all of the time to put their money and will pay for having a place for their money to be held for them. 

Nate:  Let's do this. I'm going today with some contacts for prospective customers to sign. I'll be seeing them each month with their "cash" payments for honoring the contract. No surveillance equipment to record any of my comings and goings. That's a must.  That's the first thing they have to do before I talk to them.  I'll get the updated print out at the usual place.  I'm going to put in a full day.  After I put the Chevy away I'll get out my old sedan and begin to make the rounds. 

Maze: I'll stay here for now until things cool down for me.  You can tell by Garrett's questions that things have not calmed down. If he keeps making a nuisance of himself he may not like what's going to happen.

Nate .What do you mean?

Maze:  Everybody has an Achille's heel.

Nate: What do you think his Achille's heel is?

Maze:  I think his Achille's heel is his sister. I'm already beginning to think about it. She was Hanna's attorney and trying to help her, and knowing what really happened to Lana, that is not setting well with me right now. So I would have absolutely no problem dealing with Garrett's sister. In fact, I would welcome it.(Nate gets thirty contacts out of a hidden compartment in the hallway and says,)

Nate; This is my goal for today.  Thirty signed contracts. (Nate leaves.)

Maze: (says to himself) Yes, he is gone, finally. 



to be continued: Tomorrow







No comments:

Post a Comment