My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

"Accidental Date With Fate" by Susan Pearl (Wednesday #13 mystery blog)

Lobby Receptionist:  Yes, I do. I even remember his name.  His name is Maze.  I don't know if that is his first name or last name or a nickname.  I know Lana said when her friend. a tattoo artist named Maze, came for her that she wanted the desk to buzz her apartment.  He came and just sat down in the lobby.  I asked if his name was Maze and he answered by shaking his head in the affirmative. Then when Lana came to the lobby and they left I noticed his van had  "A-MAZE-ING TATTOOS" advertised on the side of it.  I thought that was quite a play on his name for advertising his tattoo place.

Garrett: So Lana referred to Maze as her friend?

Lobby Receptionist: Yes, and to tell you the truth I hadn't ever seen her smile much. But that day she sure had a big smile when she saw him.  And, I must say, it was mutual. He gave her a big smile, too, and you could tell they were real happy to see each other.

Garrett: Was he ever here on any other occasion?

Receptionist:  No, he was here only that one time.  I didn't ever see him again after that day.

Garrett: Did he come in for a moment when he brought Lana back?

Receptionist: No. When Lana came into the lobby she didn't even look my way or say one word.  She went directly to the elevator and went to her apartment.

Garrett:  Thank you.  I appreciate this information.

Lobby Receptionist: Sure, glad to help.  (Garrett leaves the building, however, this time he puts his notepad into his shirt pocket as he has learned to take notes throughout all of his inquiries works better than remembering notes following an interview. He gets into his car and sets his GPS for directions to the "A-Maze-Ing Tattoos" place of business.  He knows he is heading to a run down, high crime area of the city.  Garrett pulls up in front of A-Maze-Ing Tattoos.  It has a closed sign in the window and it looks like no one has been there for awhile. Garrett notices there's a bar and grill next door. He parks his car and checks his concealed gun.  He goes into the establishment and walks up to the bar and sits down on one of the barstools. A man three barstools over stands up and gulps the last two swallows of his beer and put two dollars on the bar then turn around and walks towards the door to leave. The bartender calls out)

Bartender: Thanks Nate.  See Ya. ( Nate waves over his shoulder as he walks out the door.  The bartender puts the cash in the cash register.  Then, in one motion, he removes the empty beer mug and wipes the area clean.  He places those items behind the bar and steps over in front of Garrett saying)  Hi. My name is Gus. What can I get for you?

Garrett: I'll have a toasted cheese, double the dills and a short beer.

Gus: Want your beer now?

Garrett: Please. (Bartender fills a short mug with draft beer and sets the beer in front of Garrett)

Gus: There you go. I'll have you sandwich coming right up.  (The bartender goes to the grill and lathers butter on two pieces of bread and drops them on the hot grill. With the bread sizzling he puts several slices of cheese on each toasting bread. Then he slaps them together and rotates each side on the grill before putting the grilled cheese on a plate with a handful of potato chips and places it in front of Garrett. He then speared with a fork two dill pickles out of a glass jar.  He puts them into a small bowl and places bowl in front of Garrett sayin) "You'd be surprised how many people want the dill pickle but they don't want any dill pickle juice touching their toasted cheese."

Garrett.  Thank you.  You are kind of a one man show doing the cooking, too.

Gus:  I do it all. Always have, always will. Can I get you anything else?

Garrett: No.  This is good.  I lost track of the time and realized I hadn't had lunch.  So I decided to stop in for something to eat so when I get home I can really call it a day and not have to drag out any pots and pans.

Gus: I don't think I have ever forgotten to eat a meal in my life. (They laugh)

Garrett: I was wanting to talk to someone at the A-Maze-Ing Tattoos but it is closed.  So, I'll have to try another time.  I'm trying to find anyone who had known Lana Daltine.

Gus: I knew Lana, wonderful woman, as good as they come. She worked in the city at the Adult Daycare Center.  She liked it.  The Daycare van would pick her up for work and bring her home and the Daycare allowed two meals a day to all employees.  You know if you put that all together it that adds up to be a nice benefit for the workers to have their transportation and meals provided. She had a lot of patience with people.  She had to have a lot of patience living above the bowling alley.  She rented a room there for several years.  Then out of the blue she moved to a very elite part of the city. She broke off all ties with any of us here.  We thought that, maybe, she had won a lottery or something like that causing such a sudden change. Too bad she was killed. I liked her.  I think a lot of people liked her.

Garrett: Thanks for sharing some of your thoughts about Lana.  I'll come back tomorrow and see if I can talk to someone at the A-Maze-Ing Tattoo.

Gus: You may not need to come back. You see that man in the far booth? (Garrett turns around and then turns back again) He works at the A-Maze-Ing Tattoo.

Garrett: Is that right?  I think I'll go over and see if he will talk to me about Lana.  All I can do is ask.

(Garrett walks across the bar floor to the far booth.  (The man in the booth and Garrett eyes meet and then the man in the booth looks away)

Garrett: I don't mean to interrupt your evening.

Man in booth: Yes you do, cause that's exactly what you are doing.


to be continued: Tomorrow








No comments:

Post a Comment