My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Thursday, October 7, 2021

"Accidental Date With Fate" by Susan Pearl ( Thursday #14 mystery blog)

 Garrett:  I apologize. I had stopped by the tattoo parlor earlier and it was closed.

Man in booth;  Are you wanting a tattoo cause things are kind of sketchy over there right now?

Garrett: No. I wanted to talk to anyone who knew Lana Daltine.

Man in booth: Have a seat.  I knew it was just a matter of time before someone would come about Lana.  (Garrett sits down in the other side of the booth. They are facing each other.  It is an award moment)

Garrett: Can I buy you a beer?

Man in booth: No.  I'm layin' off of everything right now.  Got to. Got to keep my thoughts straight so I can land on my feet.

Garrett:  What do you mean?

Man in booth:  I feel like I am free falling now.  I'm still alright but I know I haven't hit rock bottom yet.

Garrett: Just relax and tell me about Maze and Lana's relationship.  We'll start there and just see where this goes from there.

Man in booth:  Maze and Lana had something special.  It just doesn't seem fair what happened to Lana and what it did to Maze and what it has done to the tattoo parlor.

Garrett:  Were you there when Lana had her tattoo a few months back.

Man in booth:  I was there and it was obvious something was going on that she was whispering to Maze about.  They spent a lot of time talking in Maze's makeshift office.  It is in the corner of the parlor and it's just a table and chairs and a curtain in front of a safe.  My tattoo stall is right by his office but they talked so low that I really couldn't make out what the problem was.

Garrett:  Why do you think it was about a problem?

Man in booth: Oh, it was about a problem alright.  Something was wrong.  Lana had a letter with her.  She gave it to Maze.  Maze put it in a manila envelope. He licked the edge of the envelope to seal it and then she signed her name across the sealed part of the envelope. He put the envelope in the safe.  After he closed the safe he said something about his DNA was on the envelope by licking it.  Who talks like that?  Who says something about DNA on an envelope?  It was weird and felt weird. Lana told Maze as they walked by me that she considered that envelope to be her insurance policy.  I didn't ask any questions.  Lana didn't speak to me while she got her tattoo.  Of course, she had become an aristocrat or whatever you call those people.

Garrett: Where is the envelope now?

Man in booth:  I don't know. I don't even know where Maze is?  

Garrett:  Could the envelope still be in the safe?

Man in Booth: No, I saw Maze take it out and leave with it and I haven't seen him since.

Garrett:  How long as that been?

Man in booth:  It was in the morning when news came out that another victim, named Lana Daltine, had been found.  Lana had been murdered by the serial killer and she was the ninth victim with similar characteristics left by the serial killer.  There was a picture of a necklace in the newspaper and on TV with a request to the public for help in identifying it.  Lana had taken that picture and she, also, took a picture of herself wearing the necklace. The necklace was taken by the killer. Hearing all that news about Lana, well, Maze simply fell apart. He started shaking so bad he had to cancel all his tattoo appointments.  I even had to help him call his customers. He was shaking so bad that he could barely hold the phone yet alone press some numbers.

Garrett:  Is that when he left with the envelope?

Man in booth:  No, that's so strange because he went to the back room, laid down on the bed.  He shook and shook and cried a wailing cry, like he was in great pain or something.  I went back a couple of times to help him but he was inconsolable.

Garrett:  How long did that go on?

Man in booth:  Several hours. I mean it. I haven't ever seen anything like it. After about two or three hours one of my customers came in and told that he had heard the Dover brothers had been murdered.  The next time I checked on Maze I told him I heard the Dover brothers had been murdered.  He shot out of the bed and went to the safe and got the envelope.  He told me I was in charge now and he took seven hundred dollars from the safe, too. I asked him to tell me what was going on.

Garrett:  What did he say to that?

Man in Booth:  He told me that I am a lot better off not knowing anything and I would be a lot safer, too.  He then handed me the keys to his car and said I could have it and that he was out of here and not to try to follow him ever.  He left and I haven't seen or heard from him since....nothing.

Garrett:  Do you think something may have happened to Maze?

Man in booth:  I don't know.  It depends if he can outrun someone-- and I do not know who that someone could be.


to be continued: Tomorrow



No comments:

Post a Comment