My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

"Accidental Date With Fate" by Susan Pearl (Wednesday, #18 mystery blog)

 (The next morning Garrett went to the police station.)

Miles: I'm surprised to see you.  We've already boxed up all of the files. I thought you said you were done.

Garrett: I am done going through all of the the paper work. Can we talk in private? 

Miles: Yes, The same room is available so let's go in there. (They both go in the nearby room and each take a seat on opposite sides of the table facing each other). So, what is on your mind?

Garrett:  I've got some ideas and possibilities. I want to talk to you about them. Since I can only put these ideas into actions with your approval I need to convince you these actions are needed to further this investigation.

Miles: Alright, what are we talking about.

Garrett:  We are talking about the possibility that Richard Dover and, possibly, his brother, Henry Dover, together formed a conspiracy to commit the serial murders.  These actions would help dispute or prove this possibility. I think this possibility will come up during the trial. I'm asking we check out a big part of this possibility now.

Miles: Come again?  You know that Hanna's statement of seeing Richard with a necklace in the vault is going to come under intense scrutiny at the trial.  Besides that, the necklace has been found in Hanna's apartment.

Garrett: Yes, I know that, but if, the jewelry tokens and souvenirs taken from the previous eight victims could be found in Richard's house we would have indisputable evidence that Richard and perhaps along with his brother, Henry, were involved in the killing of the previous eight victims.  We know where the the necklace of the ninth victim was found.  If the other taken jewelry items could be found at Richard's house that would insure the fact that the necklace of the ninth victim had been planted in Hanna's apartment by them. 

Miles: I don't think this meets the approval requirements for a search warrant to be issued. 

Garrett:  I agree, but we don't need a search warrant.  You already have permission from the wife that if something needs to be checked at the house that you have permission for that to be done as long as you are present to supervise.

Miles: I'm listening.

Garrett:  I have learned that Richard was very much involved in making porcelain statues.  I know this for a fact.  All I ask is that we go to the house. I'll have a professionally educated x-ray crew with portable equipment take x-ray pictures of the statues.  By doing that action we will know if any contents has been hidden in any of the statues.  Every statue is in the open area for everyone to see.  We won't even have to touch the statues. There is either going to be something hidden inside of the statues or not. We will know with confidence either way.  I think it needs to be done to advance the investigation. What do you say?

Miles:  My name is Miles and people tell me that I am willing to go the extra mile.  I think I will agree to this one and check out the possibility.  I think it would help in the investigation of this trial but I will need to talk to Richard's wife and the attorney first.  If we do find evidence we want to make sure it is admissible evidence.  We will have to have all our T's crossed and i's dotted.

Garrett: Let me make a few calls and see when I can get an x-ray crew there.  There may be over one thousand statues so I think we would need at least a three person team.

Miles: This is unchartered water but I think we are within all guidelines on her signed permission form.  I know it would be out of line to search through things. But, if what we want to investigate is out in the open areas without even opening a cupboard door I know we are alright.

Garrett:  Good.  Just let me see what I can come up with.  Would tomorrow afternoon about 2;00 PM work out for you to meet there?

Miles:  I think so but if I have to leave everyone has to leave.

Garrett: I understand.

Miles;  I will contact their attorney to make sure all open areas of the investigation are within the signed agreement.  If there is a problem I'll let you know. The wife should be consulted and verify her approval.

Garrett:  I think she will want all avenues of vindicating Richard pursued and this would be a great way to eliminate a suspected possibility.  It would be to Richard's favor to have this resolved before it would ever become an issue. 

Miles:  Leaving no stone unturned eliminates surprises.  Speaking of surprises.  I was surprised when I recognized Maze Aman from that printout I gave you to be the man in the surveillance tapes of Hanna's apartment.  It was one of those situations where I thought I knew who it might be but couldn't really remember for sure.  After seeing the printout I remembered for sure.  Maze was coming and going from Hanna's apartment for awhile.

Garrett:  I noticed that, too. I haven't confronted Hanna about it.  Lana Daltine was supposed to have given Maze a letter to save for her and no one knows where he or the letter is right now.

Miles:  Sounds like more unturned stones.


to be continued. Tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment