My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

"Old Sayings Bring Back Childhood Memories" by Susan Pearl

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole

This old saying reminds me of the day I was walking home from school.  I was just ready to cross the railroad track when I notice some excitement and gathering of other children in the area.  It was close to the railroad track and so I went over to look.  There I saw the biggest turtle I had ever seen.  One little girl said that she wanted to pet it.  Another person stopped her saying, "You don't know! It might be a snapping turtle"!!!!  Several asked, "What's a snapping turtle?  How can we know"?  An older child said she knew how and she held a small stick about a foot away from the turtle.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  As quick as a wink the turtle extended its neck and snapped off the stick.  We screamed.  No one was touching it and we all knew why.  In fact several of us ran away and went on home.
The fact is there are some things you don't want to get close to and some things you don't even want to touch no matter if you think you are at a safe distance. Things can happen and they can happen fast.  It is not being scared but it is being cautious when it comes to certain settings and situations.  There are people who know how to handle these kind of situations and they are the ones who should direct what needs to be done for everyone to stay safe.  This "Old Saying" can be applied to staying safe during COVID-19.


Let sleeping dogs lie.

There are some things we don't want to disturb for various reasons.

This can include sensitive subjects, also.  As a child growing up I was taught that if there was a sore subject or a subject that would upset the other person that I should not talk about it in a regular everyday conversation.  There was no need for it.  It served no purpose and it was best to just let things rest.  Let past sensitive subjects rest because they may cause an angry or hurtful response. In ordinary friendly conversation it is unnecessary to provoke anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment