My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

"Mister Drifter" Part 3 by Susan Pearl

The first marker is just as I remember it.  A dogleg fork in the rode.  Take the dogleg path and it will lead us to the river.  The river is the second marker. We can rest and get refreshed by the river. The horses can graze on the grassland by the river as I remember it to be.  The wind is at our back.  It seems like hours are passing.  As we top a hill the river appears.  What a welcome sight.  I think the horses are picking up speed on their own to quickly get a drink as soon as possible from the river  It is close to sunset when finally get to rest.
I had put a loaf of bread, a pot and beans in my saddle bag.  Supper will be ready in no time.  There is a mixed felling of relief.  Relief that we can rest but still knowing we are being chased relentlessly.  By the campfire with bread and a bowl of beans I know there is something that has been on my mind all through the ride that the drifter should know.  So I tell the drifter that I know my brother was recently hired by a landowner a county over.  Surely he would not be part of such a ploy because he has been such a good boy.  He had become a fine man standing so tall but could he have been swept away by the pressure and lure of it all?  No, he could not have been a part of such a cruel and deceitful day.
The drifter then asked about what my brother would have done and where he would have gone.  I knew in my heart that if my brother had been entwined in such an evil scheme he would have cut ties with it all and he ,too, would be heading for Arkansas. My brother, also, knows the eight markers.
The drifter told me that we may be getting company then and it would be no surprise to be by the end of day. I replied for us to be very cautious and not shoot at anything we see.  Let me yell out first for my brother to know it's me. The words were barely out of my mouth when there was a shot in the air.  The Drifter called "Who goes there?"  Then I yelled and yelled, "Stop shooting!  I am here.  I am here and I may be your sister.  It is me-- your sister."  Over and over again I cried out.  A shadow moved forward and but stayed quiet.  Then there were four shadows revealed in the campfire light.  There stood my brother and beside him there stood three of the nine.
The drifter stood to his feet and shook hands with the three saying, "I was wondering if I'd ever get to  see the likes of you cowhands again and I'm sure glad I am."  One of the three asked, " What do you think we should do, Boss?"  The drifter answered,  "I think we've got a lot of work to do".
I couldn't believe my ears.  My heart sank as I asked, "You're not going back, are you?"


No comments:

Post a Comment