My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Saturday, February 22, 2020

"Mister Drifter" an Old West Poem by Susan Pearl

Howdy, Mister Drifter.  Howdy, Cattle Drive Man.
It's good to see you again.
Movin' three thousand head of cattle is an event of muscle, ropes and groans.
I heard there's stones now in place at the river's bend making a new crossing but no one knows who brought in all those stones,-
Mr. Drifter, did you drop those stones in the water for the cattle to have footing and not get stuck in the mud?  You haven't been around for a couple of years so what else could you have done?
You and the nine others had three horses each for the cattle drive
Keeping the livestock safe and keeping them alive.
Is it true you like the nightshift because you would sing to the cattle the whole night through?
--to soothe them and keep them from getting spooked and then a sudden stampede might start, too.
What songs did you sing, Mister Drifter?  Would you lullaby me?
Howdy, Cattle Drive Man.  Do you miss the caress of a hand?
Or are your hands so worn, callused and blistered from the ropes and the reins of the hard ride
  that a gentle touch can not be?
Howdy, Drifter Man, where have you been?
Three years ago you held me in your arms.  I see you in the distance a ridin' my way,
Howdy, Drifter Man, is this the year you may decide to stay?
Or will the Chisholm Trail call you back again-I will know at the break of day.






No comments:

Post a Comment