My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Friday, March 27, 2020

"Mister Drifter--I'm coming to Abilene" Part 7 by Susan Pearl

Mister Drifter, my thoughts today are that another two weeks have come and gone but they have certainly not flown by.  I remember the day Hank and I arrived and the grand reunion with Mom and Dad in their front yard.  I had to get used to Hank being called Henry again.  Sometimes they call me Madeline and sometimes they call me Maddy but that's alright.  My twin sister Angeline came for a visit and it was good to see her again.  Her husband couldn't come with so many chores to do each day.  She visited one day and then left.  Her heart is with her love and I know that feeling myself because of you.  Hank says that he should stay to help Dad.  Dad is walking with a crutch since he fell last year off the roof of the house.  His leg is red and swollen and Mom is concerned.  She had been doing all of the milking of the milkcow, "Beaut".   Mom named the cow because the first time Mom saw the cow she said, "Isn't she a beauty?"  And so the name, "Beaut", came to be.  In my thoughts I am thinking very seriously that in four weeks you should have settled things with the ranch owner.  I hope it went in your favor and I am believing it did.  But I know you, Mister Drifter, and I know you will want to complete your obligation to deliver the cattle that were entrusted to you for the cattle drive.  My guess is that you are working on continuing the cattle drive now and you will be bringing the cattle to the railroad station at Abilene.  So, Mister Drifter, I have decided that I will come to Abilene and wait for you there each day at the train station. That is where is want to be.  That is where I should be.  That is where I long and ache to be.  I am leaving for Abilene in the morning and I am not going to tell anyone.  I am leaving them a note.  I know they will cry and carry on about a woman on a trip alone but somehow I just know I can do it.  Mister Drifter, I'm going to be waiting for you in Abilene and I know there will be a day when you will come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment