My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

"Mister Drifter Drifting Away" Part 8 by Susan Pearl

Mister Drifter,  I did leave my folks at daybreak to come to Abilene.  I did leave a note and I had packed my saddlebags with food.  I rode out and since I know this area so well I decided to go cross county to save seven miles.  After the first mile going cross country I became disorientated because the grass was so very tall. Then the sound of a rattle snake, coiled and ready to strike, startled the horse.  The horse shied and reared up and bucked me off. I passed out with pain.
They tell me I must have laid there for two days.  Some circling vultures were seen in the sky and a nearby landowner decided to check and see what was wrong in his grassland area.
After an additional four days I woke up in a hospital.  Hank, Mom, Dad, Angeline and her husband were in the room.  All faces tell me they are thinking that it is time to tell me "good-bye".  Things are fading as I slip into sleep again but then I am roused by noise and wake up again. Oh, Mister Drifter, I see you walking through the door holding your hat in your hands.  My, what a gentleman you truly are under the gruffness, roughness and toughness.  The kindest eyes I've ever seen are looking into mine.  The room is so illuminated with bright sunlight streaming in all four window.  I'm drifting away again as you hold my hand, Mister Drifter, and I am feeling the gentleness of your kiss.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment