My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Song/Poem 3 "Fall Memories"

Tomorrow is officially the first day of Fall.  I love the season of Fall.  I enjoy the sight of the golden shades and reddish mixtures of the spectacular colors of the leaves.  The taste of Fall to me is hot apple cider or apple slices dipped in melted caramel.  The smell of Fall are the lovely spices of cinnamon and nutmeg with an outdoor whiff of someone using their wood burning fireplace for the first time in this cooler season.  The feel of Fall is the feeling of being warm and cozy with the softness of a woolen blanket. To hear Fall I would leave the sidewalk and walk across the yard and hear the crunch, crakling of crisp leaves underfoot.

Fall was a special season as I grew up.  Our dad had built the home that I grew up in and on the North side of the house he had planted three maple trees ( a silver maple, a sugar maple and a red maple). I wrote this poem/song, "Fall Momories", to commemorate this special childhood memory of Fall.

"Fall Memories"

My dad died when I was small
I really don't remember him at all.
Mom raised four sons and me
     giving us a special Fall memory.

Each Fall I remember mom gathering clusters of leaves
  from the three maple trees by our home.
She brought them in and enjoyed their beauty,
     decorating in reds and golds.
She put a big bouquet of leaves in front of the picture window.

Beautiful maple leaves, glistening in the sunlight,
     beautiful maple leaves, rustling in the wind
     returning a loving Fall memory to me, again.

She pinned some leaves to the curtain by the sink,
     and as she washed dishes she would look at them and think
Of the day dad had planted the trees and of the house he had built
     and love for him she still felt.

Beautiful maple leaves, glistening in the sunlight,
    beautiful maple leaves, rustling in the wind
    returning a loving Fall memory to me, again.

When mom's eyesight went dim
   she still thought of him,
And when she was seventy-nine
   the porchsteps were hard for her to climb.
It had been forty years since she held dad's hand
   and the special touch he left I  grew to understand
 As she would  gather more leaves in the Fall,
   for more kind memories to recall.

Beautiful maple leaves, glistening in the sunlight,
   beautiful maple leaves rustling in the winds
   returning a loving Fall memory to me, again.

And I thank God above
  for the gift of an unending love
Shown to me by the leaves of the maple trees. 

Beautiful maple leaves
   returning a loving Fall memory to me, again.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment