My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

"Chasing the Evidence Race" by Susan Pearl ( Tuesday, mystery blog #10)

Maze: So what are we going to do about it?  I don't appreciate you trying to keep track of me.

Nate: I don't appreciate a lot of things, too.

Maze: Like what?

Nate. Like me opening up my home to give you a place to stay and lay low for awhile and you acting like you own the place.  Like you blaming me all the time for Lana's death.  Don't you think I wish I had done things differently?  Well, I do.  But I can't go back and neither can you. You are stuck in a rut about it and I hear it over and over and over again.  I'm very close to asking you to leave.

Maze:  I see. What are you going to do next?

Nate: I'm going to count the disposable phones in the box.  I know there were 36 phones in the box before you left for a motorcycle ride.  What reason could there be for you to leave here on your motorcycle?  It had to be that you wanted to make a call on one of those disposable phones.

Maze: My, keeping track of how many phones are in the box. How impressive. Thanks for telling me.  Now, I'll have to hide a few phones here and there. Remember, good card players doesn't show their hand. You tell everything you know so don't play cards. You would lose. Listen, what I do is none of your business! (Maze gets up and walks down the hallway going into the back bedroom and slams the door.)

Nate: (Shouts by the bedroom door) For as long as you live here I'm watching you like a hawk!! You remember that!! (Nate goes back into his office and sits down at his desk. He leans back in the office  roller chair.  He changes his mind about thinking things through right there and decides to lay down on a couch in an adjoining room.  His revolver is nearby in that room and he thinks it might be a good idea to have it handy.  He knows it is time for Maze to leave in more ways than one. The plans for Maze to move should be coming together soon. Nate thinks that it can't come soon enough. Nate resents the fact that he had thirty contracts signed that day and Maze didn't even ask how things went.  At a thousand dollars a contract Nate had made thirty thousand dollars that day.  He is suppose to divide the money with Maze and he thinks "that ain't going to happen".  Maze doesn't even need to know. The house is quiet in a strange way because both are suspicious of each other.  It's going to be a long night. Instead of a deep restful sleep Nate will be taking short cat naps throughout the night.                                                      Across the city, Garrett is finishing up his studying and reviewing all the news articles about the murder.  He has reviewed his notes several times.  He has a couple of very pressing thoughts.  He thinks some solid evidence could develop very soon. Officer Miles would need something solid to prove what Garrett thinks is a very real possibility. Garrett knows it would be dangerous for him to wear a wire.  He decides to put a recording device in his car and he has a plans to get to the bottom of several issues that need to be answered once and for all. For now, he is ready to call it a day.  Morning will, once again, come too soon.)

(Early the next morning Garrett decides to drive to J.J. Jewelry and ask Jade a couple more questions. After that he goes to the police station.  It was good to see Officer Miles. Miles was busy working on the current murder case. Garrett takes the file and goes to the next room to study it.  Miles was right by saying it wouldn't take long for Garrett to read any additions to the file.  Garrett returns the file to Miles.)

Garrett: This is well done but your investigation completely stops after Hanna's confession.  I noticed your last entry was of me telling you that the name of the chauffeur is Nate Stricker. So I would like to add to that part of the file with my findings. 

Miles:  Yes, do you have a follow up plan to finish your investigation?

Garrett: I do and I am going to do that right now. It's still early enough I can catch Nate coming back from his morning ride in his vintage restored car. He does that each morning. So I'm really going to put the heat on him and see what happens. I will be recording everything that he says. This can go one way or the other. If it goes the way I think it might I would like to ask to have a police stake out to watch for me to give a signal. 

Miles:  What kind of signal?

Garrett:  If I peel out of the parking lot that means to come and arrest Nate before he enters the modular home.  If I drive out slow it means I didn't get the evidence and do nothing.  For me to peel out means to act fast.  So I want to tell you everything I suspect that Nate has been involved in as to Lana's case.(Miles and Garrett spend ten minutes with Garrett explaining to Miles his suspicions and his tactics to get solid evidence for arresting Nate)  

Miles: It's a go, Garrett, We need to follow through on this and I'll have a stake out there at a distance but still be able to observe. You have good instincts and if anyone can pull this off you can. Stay safe.

Garrett; I will. If I peel out I will come back here as fast as I can with the recording an give it to you.(Garrett leaves and drives to the storage unit rental place. He waits.  It doesn't take long until Nate comes rolling into the parking lot with his '55 Chevy Bel Aire. When Nate sees Garrett he starts shaking his head "no". He gets out of his car and Garrett gets out of his car.)

Nate: What do I have to do? Call the police? I will.

Garrett: What I want to talk to you about can be said in about five minutes.  I'm asking you to give me  five minutes then I'll totally leave you alone.

Nate: Why should I?

Garrett: Because you are a curious man. And you would wonder about not knowing what I had to say to you for the rest of your life. I can sit in your car with you to talk privately. Or we can talk right here. Or even, we can talk in my car.

Nate: Are you wearing a wire?

Garrett: No.

Nate: Take off your shirt.

Garrett: Please, Nate. I'm a modest man. But all right. (Garrett takes of his shirt, raises his arms and turns around in front of Nate.)

Nate: You're good.  But I don't want to talk out here in the open or in the office. I'd rather you not sit in my car.  I can sit in your car and hear what you have to say.  What's this all about?

(Garrett gets in his car in the drivers seat and Nate gets in Garrett's car in the front passenger seat.)


to be continued: Tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment