My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Friday, September 10, 2021

"Accidental Date With Fate" by Susan Pearl (Friday)

 Hanna: Both!

Vault Man: Evidently a sudden deadline was in place.  There had to be a reason for that.  Something had caused the auctions of today.  Something was in motion and it had to be taken care of quickly...very quickly. (He feels different areas of the vault door and says) This is a hot place on the vault door.  There is so much heat I can barely hold my hand on it.  I think they are using a cutting torch to cut through the door and make some sort of opening.

Hanna: Of my six years here you are only the second person I have ever seen in the vault.

Vault Man: Who was the other?

Hanna:  It was Richard.

Vault Man: Tell me about it.

Hanna: Actually it was three days ago, Monday afternoon. I was filing the weekly logs and I thought I was a alone.  Then I heard a wrist watch beep.  It startled me and I went around the three rows of safety deposit boxes and I saw Richard squatted in front of a bottom row opened safety deposit box.

Vault Man:  What was he doing?

Hanna: Well, strange enough when I saw him he didn't notice me at first. I caught a glimpse of him holding a piece of jewelry.  The strange part was that he was stroking the jewelry and then he held the jewelry to his cheek. It was a beautiful piece of jewelry. It was a necklace in the shape of a diamond crown with red droplets.  He was so deep in thought I think I could have turned and left without him noticing me.

Vault Man: Why didn't you?

Hanna: It seemed like an opportunity for me to have a conversation with one of the richest men in the world.  I was so excited and asked, "Who's the lucky woman?"  He jolted, he was so startled and said that he didn't realize anyone else was in the vault. It just felt awkward and so I asked my question again, "Who's the lucky woman?"  He answered that it was a gift for his wife and I shouldn't say anything --don't spoil the surprise. So I assured him I wouldn't say anything to anyone and went back to check that my drawer was locked and everything was safe.

Vault Man:  Who left first?

Hanna: He did.  The alarm peeped again on his watch and he was out of there.  He quickly walked by me and didn't say a word even though I wished him a good day.

Vault Man:  Did you read today's newspaper or hear any morning news.

Hanna: No, It's my daily workday routine to watch TV and read the newspaper on my morning break in the employee lounge. Why?

Vault Man: They have found another body and it has the same signs to be the same serial killer as the other eight.

Hanna: What does that have anything to do with this?

Vault Man:  The murderer always takes a piece of jewelry from the victim. The jewelry is like a token or souvenir.

Hanna:  What!  Don't tell me!

Vault Man:  The paper said the victim was last seen wearing a necklace in the shape of a crown with droplets of starlet rubies across the base of the crown.

Hanna: (Screams) What does all this mean?

Vault Man:  It means you really saw more than what you thought you did and you were about to find out how much you really do know.

Hanna: That sounds like exactly the piece of jewelry I saw Richard holding. Do you think the jewelry is still in the drawer?

Vault Man:  No, not at all.  Once you saw the jewelry it had to be moved. It wouldn't surprise me if Richard didn't have it in his pocket when he walked by you as he left the vault.  ( suddenly a cutting torch is breaking through the vault door with someone yelling "cover your eyes, don't look at the welding sparks".

( a sledgehammer then hits and hits the vaults doors until a small portion breaks free and falls to the floor of the vault leaving an opening)


To be continued: There will be a bonus mystery blog posted on Monday, September 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment