My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Sunday, August 9, 2020

"Only Once and Why is That?" by Susan Pearl

When we lived in the country there was a springtime of year that I noticed so many tree seedlings coming up in the yard.  The seedlings looked like deciduous trees and I thought of transplanting them for making a windbreak.

So our son and I spent most the day transplanting over a hundred of the three inch seedlings to be a windbreak on the southeast side of the property.  We were excited to think of the trees growing up to make a beautiful windbreak.

After we finished our tree planting we went to town to buy groceries.  On our return trip home from town we started seeing some smoke in the distance.  As we approached our home and turned into the driveway it was obvious and concerning the smoke was in the southeast part of the property.  We ran to see what was going on.  

There stood my husband with the garden hose.  He explained that when he got home from work he decided to burn off some grass because it was such a still day.

The property next to us was a plowed field and he wanted to burn off the grass from the fence line.  I asked. "Did you see the seedlings?" He answered, "What seedlings?"

To this day I have planted over one hundred seedlings only once.
To this day my husband has burned off grass only once.
Why did it have to be on the same day?   Only Once and Why is that?

We are celebrating our 54th wedding anniversary now and this is still one of our most baffling memories.  Why is that?  I think it is because we still can't believe it happened that way- being only once and only once and on the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment