My Logo

My logo illustrates that all aspects of life can come together for a common note.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

#215 "More Water?" By Susan Pearl

To be upset or to not be upset that was my dilemna.
To have an evening meal in a high scale restaurant was a very special occasion for us.
The table was set beautifully. The water was in elegant goblet style long stem glasses.
We had been told the atmosphere of this restaurant was something to behold so we consented to go there with other family members to enjoy it, too.
Then the steaks were served and things changed fast for our table. 
My husband thought his steak was tough and so he stabbed the steak with his fork to firmly hold it in place while he took his steak knife and used it like a hand saw going back and forth in short fast rapid motions trying to cut through the steak. 
The table started shaking so much that the water started spilling out over the tops of the long stem glasses.
It was like our table had been placed on top of a jackhammer and we were trying to eat with a raging vibrating, shaking table connection to a jackhammer going at full speed.
The table quieted down as my husband had finally made it though the steak to actually had his first bite of meat. 
Then the table vibrations started all over again for him to cut his second bite of steak.
More water was spilling and slushing out of the goblets and I couldn't really believe that this special evening had tuned into an embarrassing experience.
I had never tried to eat a meal at a shaking table before and I don't think the other family members had either.
Thank goodness they didn't serve peas or they would have literally rolled off of the table. 
My husband did not have a clue what he was putting the rest of us through in with the sudden eruputions of a shaking table.
The waiters wanted to refill our water but we declined.  We had not drank any of our water. The water had spilled out over the top of the goblet onto the beautiful tablecloth leaving  large circles of spilled water around the base of each goblet. 
I didn't know if I should be upset with my husband or not be upset by knowing he is the type of person that if if he has something to do --come hell or high water--in this case -spilled goblet water, he is going to get the job done no matter what it takes. And in this case a tough steak needed to be cut up.  He would have helped to cut up anyone's steak if we had asked him. 
I chose to laugh.  I knew that no matter what the challenge at hand my husband would meet it.  Cutting up his steak changed the restaurant up scale sophisticated atmosphere to a funny and comical setting.  We began roaring with laughter and it was a such great fun.
It was well worth the price of the meal.
Why we didn't send the steak back to the kitchen I'll never know.
I guess we just were too busy trying to hang on to our own meal with the shaking table that we didn't have time to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment